Saturday, October 30, 2021

1851 - Tuscanooga and Slone Ridge - Captain William W. Slone

1842 - Early Homesteaders

   In 1842, after the Second Seminole War, the area of what would later become South Lake County was now open territory, since most of the Seminoles living in the area had been forced out during the war.
   Families that began migrating to the area had no roads, so existing Native American trails were followed.
   The first Post Office in the area was established in Okahumpka in 1845.
   Prior to 1851, settlers had already arrived to the west of Groveland in the area that would be called Linden.
   The Third Seminole War (1855 to 1858) was still being fought when some of our ancestors begin to arrive.
   The new residents obtained property through land grants, signed by Presidents Pierce or Buchanan, or by "homesteading" and other means.

1851 - Slone Ridge


   In 1851, a large caravan of wagons arrived in this area from Georgia. Among those traveling in the wagon caravan would be the first known settlers to arrive in the area that would become known as Slone Ridge
   The settlement was named after, veteran of the War of Northern Agression (Civil War), Captain William W. Slone, who fought for the Confederacy. (An old-timer once reported that Slone Ridge was originally called Tuscanooga Hammock. However, this has not been documented.)

         The names of these early 1851 Slone Ridge settlers were:
      William W. Slone and his wife Rebecca - One account states that Mr. Slone had to fight off some local Native Americans and was forced to abandon his homestead twice during the raids. He also had to fight off panthers and bears that were plentiful in the area at the time.
      Robert Jackson Slone - Brother of William W. Slone. One account said he was single upon arrival.
      Alexander L. Slone - Brother of William W. Slone. One account said he was single upon arrival.
      Ealon Slone - Sister of William W. Slone. Married George Matthew Merritt. (It is not clear if they were part of the 1851 wagon train or if they came later.)

   Children of George Merritt and Ealon Slone who remained in the Slone Ridge area were:
      Evander Merritt (Father to William, Ollie, Kelly, and Daisy)
      Elizabeth Merritt (Married Leonard Robbins, 1869, and moved to nearby Tuscanooga). She was a midwife and her medicine bag can be seen at the museum.
      Frederick Lucius Merritt
      Robert James Merritt (Married Oregon Sloan, daughter of Daniel Sloan, c.1871)
      Virginia Merritt (Married Linton Sloan, son of Daniel Sloan, c. 1870)

Why SLOAN and SLONE spelling of the name?

   John Sloan had two sons: John (b. 1784) and William (b. 1787).
   William went on to become a Georgia State Senator in 1837. William changed the spelling of his last name to Slone, for an unknown reason. William's son, William W., migrated here in 1851 and became a Confederate Captain. The area was later named after him.

   A son of John Sloan and 1st cousin to Capt. William W. Slone, Daniel Sloan, came to this area in 1866. The house of Daniel Sloan was perhaps the first built in 1866 in what would become Taylorville. Daniel was a circuit riding Baptist preacher and farmer. He was also a 1st Leutinent in Florida's Cow Cavalry in the Confederate Army. He is buried at Dukes Cemetery [1st LT, CO B, 1 BN - B. 1811 D. 1888].

1860s - Tuscanooga

   Not long after the the settling of Slone Ridge, people began settling an area further north that would become known as Tuscanooga.
   Tuscanooga had previously been a 900 acre island that was inhabited by Native Americans. These Natives participated in the successful ambush of Major Dade and his troops at the site of today's Dade Battlefield State Park in Bushnell.
   As was coommon for the time, the settlers of Slone Ridge and Tuscanooga began to intermarry and form familial bonds.

   Early Settlers of Tuscanooga:
      William Leonard Robbins - Abt. 1866
      Matthew Pridgeon Merritt - 1867
      William Jordan Watson - 1870
      Newton Stewart, Jr. - Abt. 1890
      Archibald Gano - In the mid 1890s he moved from Villa City after the Great Freeze of 1895.
      Granville Beville Robbins - Born in 1874 at Tuscanooga. He was later hired to build the first structure in Taylorville, which was a storage shed for the Taylor Brothers. It was used to store the supplies needed for their turpentine business.

Life of The Early Settlers

   Hard work was required to tame the land, which had to be cleared. Trees were cut down and the logs hewn, for making the cabins, before homes could be built or fields laid out for farming. Labor was done by hand and settlers had to camp in tents or wagons until the homes were completed. Fence rails were split out of pine, cypress, and cedar.

   Corn was made into hominy, cornmeal, and grits. Various vegetables, such as beans or peas, were dried for the winter months. Some wild berries were eaten as food. Sugar and syrup were made from the sugar cane that would be grown.
      Cows, deer, wild turkey, hogs, rabbits, squirrels, fish, and chickens provided their meat. The beef was pickled or dried and pork was cured and smoked for preserving. Butter was churned from the cows' milk. Chickens provided meat and eggs. Feathers from the chickens were used for mattresses and pillows.

   Cotton was a necessary crop grown here in the mid-late 1800s. Clothing was made of cotton cloth that was hand-loomed from cotton thread made on their own spinning wheels. Bedspreads and sheets were also made out of the homespun cotton fabric. They made their own dyes from pokeberries, hickory bark, and indigo plant.



[Contributors: Mary Helen Myers, Jason Brown]

Next Article: 1855-1858 - 3rd Seminole War






No comments:

Post a Comment